From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Sep 1997 08:24:32 EDT
Just catching up on the past few days.  I get BEE-L in digest format
and for some reason as yet unbeknownst to me LISTSERV has been putting
BEE-L on hold, two days in a row now.  Don't know why but I'm workin' on
it.  Rest assured, no posts are lost they are just held until an
administrator frees them up.  However LISTSERV then processes them
(at least in the digest) in reverse chronological order.  I guess that's
fine for our Chinese subscribers :)

The "same old questions" thread is itself a same old issue.  The
proposed solution I liked best (partly because it was my suggestion :)
was to reach a consensus on one or two texts, and when the same old
question was asked again we could point the newbee to the chapter and
verse in the agreed upon text.

You can see the problems here.  First, consensus amongst beekeepers is
an oxymoron.  How's that list of texts comin' Adam?  I s'pect Adam's
very good idea is coming along, but he has a day job too, which is
my second point, someone has to take the time to do the work.  FAQ?
Great idea!  Who'll tie the bell on the old cat's tail?  I attempted
to coordinate a group effort to filter the voluminous logs into more
manageable files by topic, but again I got way laid by my day job.
(some threads DID get condensed, thanks to those who helped and
apologies that I never followed through).  Furthermore, the exercise
of condensing the logs convinced me that the information was already
there in texts and what I (we) were trying to do was author a book.

In the meantime, while I was writing this a staff member realized why
LISTSERV has been holding BEE-L.  The list is currently configured
to allow 50 posts a day.  If/when that threshold is hit, LISTSERV
holds the list.  Does this tell you something?  How many BEE-Lers
does it take to change a light bulb?  I have been a staunch advocate
of hands off management of this list, but it truly is getting out of
hand!!!

PLEASE FOLKS:
   1) Keep the posts related to bees!  No 'Plutonium in space'!
      No flames, counter flames, counter-counter flames or
      retorts.  If it ain't bees take it off-list.
   2) Keep requoting other's materials to a minimum.  If you don't
      know how to edit quoted material, well LEARN!
   3) No binary attachments!  If you've got a binary, tell us
      where it is.  If we want it, we'll find it.

Aaron Morris - longing for the days when BEE-L taught me stuff.