Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Jul 2005 08:01:53 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
This message was originally submitted by [log in to unmask] to the BEE-L
list at LISTSERV.ALBANY.EDU. It was edited to remove quoted of previously posted material.

------- Original message (ID=AB2156D8) (103 lines) ---------Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2005 00:16:01 -0500
To: Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology
<[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [BEE-L] What Kind of Beekeeper Are You?

I have very seldom posted to the list as a whole, normally reply to
people individually. I also am pry the youngest person that is on this list at 21.  I got interested in bee's when I was in elementary school, and had very supportive parents, who also found it interesting. Our minister at the time had bees and showed us a few things and put us in touch with the local bee supply store, we are lucky and have Dadants in out town. We got our first two Nucs from none other than Erwin Glew, which I am sure many people on this list knew. He was a great person and beekeeper. After getting our bees we decided we didn't know enough (my father and I) and took a short class by Marion Ellis. This was all by around the time I was entering middle school. (6th grade, about 1994 or 1995) In High school, we bought out another guy, and ended the season with 15 hives, and have kept around that many since then. In high school, while most guys are worried about girls, I was too, but a different kind, Queens. The Summer of 1997 I took along with my father Dr. Marion Ellis's Master Beekeeping workshop. I learned a lot.  The following year I alone took Marla's queen course at UNL. After high  school, I attended Iowa State University, majoring in Civil Engineering.  Well, by mid semester of my sophomore year, and calculus kicking me hard, I started taking Entomology classes. I now am a Ent. major and love it. I also work for the USDA in town raising honey bee's for pollination. I was told I was the first person to apply for a job there that only wanted to work with bee's and actually had experience in it. All of this was after 3 years of not touching a beehive. (After moving to college, I didn't help much and left my parents with the duties, which they still are doing good with, I now recently have helped when I am back) I still keep in touch with Marion, and try to visit him when I am in Lincoln. I owe him many thanks for showing me all of the different facets of Entomology. I would like to say for anyone else out there that is High school age or about that, and don't know what they want to do, find a place with an under grad Entomology degree, and try it. I started out loving Honey bee's, and still like them, but are starting to find beetles just as interesting. I however, if I can 
find a school to give me money for grad school, I would love to do 
something with honey bee's. Toxicology has become a second or third 
interest after taking Organic Chemistry. So that's what kind of
 beekeeper I am. I am the partial product of two great beekeepers, Dr. Marion Ellis and Erwin Glew.

Nick Behrens
Entomology Senior, but will be a super senior trying to get a Chem
Minor.  Ames Iowa, originally from Sioux City Iowa

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
-- Visit www.honeybeeworld.com/BEE-L for rules, FAQ and  other info ---
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

ATOM RSS1 RSS2