From:
Olda Vancata <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Dec 1998 14:50:38 +0000
>>> Gabon tapes contain acrinathrin which is very closely related to
>>> tau- fluvalinate substances. This means that if there are
>>> pyrethoid resistant mites, Gabon will be no more effective than
>>> Apistan or Bayvarol.

>> Varroa will probably develope resistance to all pyrethroids. It's
>> probably  matter of time. But as I know, the tests  - so far -
>> showed that varroa resistant to Apistan was not resistant to Gabon.
>> Not yet.

> Professor Norberto Milani of the University of Udine, Italy proved
> conclusively in 1996 that there is a cross-resistance (in varroa)
> between tau-fluvalinate, flumethrin and acrinathrin. This is
> published.

Yes. The test was talking about test made in Northen Italy. In NI you
have Apistan efficiency around 4-5% (compared with 95 normally). The
test I was talking about wasn't made on 'Italian strain' of varroa.

> If you are getting control with acrinathrin then chances are you do
> not have a large proportion of pyrethroid-resistant mites in your
> colonies. It's not to do with "non-acrinathrin resistance" vs "other
> pyrethroid- resistance". Just "not-many-resistant-mites-here"
> phenomenon!

Naturally you must take care about the resistant rest with other
chemicals (amitraz, coumaphose). Otherwise you are breeding resistant
varroa.

>>> When talking pyrethroids relationsship you must think that Gabon
>>> is - let say  - a 'second generation' of pyrethroids.

>As is tau-fluvalinate.

One must trust what sales people from Sandos (and other companies are
telling you).

>> Take for example a look at the dosage for one beehive (mentioned
>> before): Apistan: around 1000 mg (different in different countries)
>>  Gabon: 0,1 mg

> Two Apistan strips should be used per hive treatment, each
> containing 800mg tau-fluvalinate. However, the actual treatment is
> not 1600 mg tau- fluvalinate. I don't have information on the Gabon
> formulation.

I was talking about how much is probably released. In case of Gabon
(wooden strip with polystyrolbutadien + 1 mg acrinathrin) is not the
whole amount released either.

>> I even mentioned before - toxicity for bee/varroa
>> fluvalinate: 2x
>> acrinathrine: 200x

> I'm not sure what you are saying but let me clarify that the safety
> margin for tau-fluvalinate between killing varroa and killing bees
> is 20,000 x. This means it is "safe" for bees but toxic to varroa
> mites. Can you clarify what the situation is for acrinathrin.

You are probably takling in Apistan case about the released dose
compared with  LD50 for 1 kg bees. Numbers are comparable, because
Gabon strips are not releasing the whole amount either - just a
fraction. You are probably talking in terms of  'in vitro'
LD50varroa/bee. If you need 1600x less amount of Gabon, you can count
out that numbers for Gabon your self.

>>LD50/man
>>fluvalinate (Apistan ): 250 g
>LD50 tau-fluvalinate = >3000 mg/kg

Correct. LD50/man is a 70 kg's 'man' . Therefore: 3500 mg x 70 = 245g
/man (we are counting with allmost same figures).

>Acrinathrin LD50?
LD50 = 4000 mg/kg = 280 g /man

>>ADI/man (Acceptable Dayly Intake ):
>>fluvalinate: 7 mg
>The ADI for tau-fluvalinate for a 70 kg man is 0.7 mg per day

Sorry. You are right. My figures was too old.

>>acrinathrine: 1,4 mg
>?
0,02mg/kg = 1,4 mg/man

>> NOEL /man (NO Effect Level ):
>> fluvalinate: 70 mg

>NOEL for tau-fluvalinate is 1 mg/kg/day

Yes. For RATS !
:-)

>acrinathrine: 210 mg

for male rats: 2,4 mg/kg
for female rats: 3,1 mg/kg
for dogs: 3 mg/kg

LITERATURE: A world compendium the Pesticide Manual. Tenth edition.
Editor Clive Tomlin. British Crop Protection Council.1994

\vov