From:
Robert Brenchley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Nov 2008 15:11:29 EST

[log in to unmask] writes:

<<How could these pears have survived—without anyone taking care  of them?  I
often wonder. >>

    They're pretty hardy. I have an allotment on a site  which dates back to
1840. There are seventy-odd old aple trees, plus pears and  plums. Many of
them are very old, some are rare varieties. One is almost buried  in recent tree
growth. They've survived, with little or no care, for many  decades, and
they're still flourishing. They really don't need  mollycoddling.

Regards,

Robert Brenchley
Birmingham  UK