From:
Tom Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Aug 1996 20:26:39 -0400
Yes I appreciate your efforts to develop a curriculum on bees to be given in
the boys school. One of the problems I have encountered in North American
Schools is that
much of the exciting part of the bee colony development occurs during the
summer holiday. The problem is how to care for the colony in that period.Many
yuoungsters would be glad to take a colony home, but for every one that will
there are two or more parents or step parents that will object. It would be
well in planning your curriculum
to get one or more families to commit to the summer maintenance in advance.

Also the most dormant period is in the winter which makes the hive not quite
as fascinating. Perhaps you could develop a researach phase on miote life in
the winter time to determine what is really happening to our dying colonies.

I recommend that you get in touch with the head of the enotomology department
in a local university for suggestions