From:
Bruce Kemp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jun 1996 22:34:39 -0400
>On Mon, 24 Jun 1996 15:02:50 -0500 Robert Hayes wrote:
>
>>         I'd suggest the following:
>> 1) close down the opening in the tree to one which can be covered with an
>> inverted cone of window screening sticking out about a foot and 1/2 or so
>> with the end of the cone reduced to allow the exit of a bee at a time.
>> 2) securely position a full depth brood super ( with full covers, base etc.)
>> high enough to be nearer to the old opening than the new opening at the end
>> of that inverted cone of screen.  You might make a little 2x4 platform
>> first.
>> 3) into the hive body you can put fully drawn out comb that's had a freezer
>> treatment to extinguish mites and some new regular foundation too.
>
>Just one important point here,..You cant get the old Q out by this method
which is what is
>trying to be done!
>
>I'd put a box on top of the stump and wait until the Q is in it and laying,
take the box  away then
>close up the top of the stump and let the bees in the stump rear a new Q
or.. as you suggested
>use a Q exclr if you want to remove the complete nest.

Thanks Phil,

You are confirming what I thought about that post.  I have done that to get
the two hives I started over again with this year.  I got them out of a tree
in my front yard, but I had to put queens in each time I robbed workers.
The queen is still in the tree and the hive is recovering.

I wanted to do this hive in the stump differently and get the queen.  I
think your idea about the hive raising a new queen when I get the old one is
great.  I can work on that next spring and get two more hives.  Then I can
move the second hive in the day time and leave the stragglers a new queen in
a box to get one more and to rob the stump of honey.

Thanks,

From the desk of,

Bruce Kemp
1-540-626-4677