From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 2007 13:16:03 -0500
Dee Lusby wrote:
>you here are measuring plastic foundation, and not real beeswax combs,or
>wax foundation taking into consideration how it is
>embossed, and there is a big difference with all, in doing
>actual real measurements, so don't be so quick here.

Every type of foundation, whether wax, plastic, or aluminum, can be measured
in order to determine the number of cells per inch or decimeter, and hence
the size of the cell.

The thickness of the cell wall should not enter in, if you measure from
center to center. In any case, it is simple matter to measure larger numbers
of cells, thereby minimizing the potential for error.

I don't really think that a slight difference in size matters much anyway,
since natural comb varies all over the place. Honey bees are far less
particular about these matters than their owners.

pb