Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 2009 12:28:21 -0700
> None of my comments should have put you off to MegaBee.  I can only go by
> data, published or unpublished.  The USDA has data that suggest that
> MegaBee is the best supplement out there.  Now what we need is replication
> in other trials to see if it is consistent--as you know, we've been burned
> by data from other trials.

That is a fact.  Trials are very difficult to do well, since they require
getting representative samples of different products together in one place
and applying them properly.  Not as easy as one might think, since few
distributors will admit their stock is a year old, but often it is older
than that!

Samples obtained may be of differing ages, and age may affect the levels of
various nutrients adversely.  This latter point is one we are trying to get
a grip on, but since there are many nutrients involved and storage
conditions may vary, this is not ever going to be cut and dried, but we do
know that fresher is better.

Different products may also have different purposes.  Some are designed for
rapid consumption and others for time-release.  Some need added sugar, some
have enough already.  How do you compare them?  I've seen some really unfair
tests done by people who should know better.

As for Megabee, it simply has to be a good product.  A lot of work has gone
into it.  The thing many miss is that much of that work, and some
compromises made were due to the fact that Megabee was designed as a *liquid
feed*.  Patties were an afterthought.

In designing liquid feed, there are huge problems with spoilage, settling
and separation, particle size, phagostimulation, etc. that simply do not
apply in patty use. Those consideration are largely responsible for the
greater cost of MegaBee, as I understand it (and I did keep in touch with
the originator of the product throughout its development and initial
incorporation into patty form).

I doubt there is a better liquid protein feed for bees than MegaBee, but I
assume we are discussing patties, since, in comparison, liquid feeds are
messy and difficult to feed in sufficient quantity.

> In a relatively small trial that I ran last summer (12 colonies in each
> treatment) MegaBee performed well, as did the homebrew.  The trial was too
> small to be definitive. No formula out there appears yet to be a complete
> pollen substitute.  The success of any formula may well depend upon the
> local conditions--especially whatever traces of natural pollen are
> available, and their composition.

That point can never be emphasized too strongly.  Failure to understand and
plan supplementation can lead to damaged colonies. and/or wasted money, plus
badmouthing a perfectly good product.

> I've spoken to many beekeepers who have tried MegaBee.  The response has
> generally been positive, with the main question being whether it was worth
> the additional price.

Exactly, and that is hard to prove conclusively, since the effects of
feeding are at once obvious, and subtle.

The obvious, visible, effects of feeding are increased brood and larger,
more robust bees.  The subtle effects are long term improvements in crops,
colony health and enhanced resistance to disease and parasites.  Ultimately
these add up to better wintering, too.

Randy may or or may not  choose to discuss the long term outcomes of that
trial; if they mean anything, and they may not, the results are surprising,
and grounds for further deep contemplation and study.

Supplementation is not a simple topic.

> There are a number of beekeepers who swear by other formulas, and have
> done their own private (and unpublished) testing.  Of course, several who
> have strong opinions also sell one of the products.

We need a really good comparison study running over several years to
determine cost effectiveness and long term results.

A everyone knows, I am for 'open source' in bee feeding, and reveal
everything I know (Sometimes more than I know).  I think public money has
been spent on the background research and that the public has the rights to
the results.  Sadly we are seeing propriety products and in some cases the
accompanying hype and deceit that comes with commercialization.  I suppose
that the competition is a good thing in the sense that all those voices
shouting, "Feed your bees!", get the message across.

Furthermore, I do not believe that there is any legitimate place in a
honey-producing beehive for products that are not disclosed, and FDA and/or
USDA approved.

> Here's the URL for Allen, who has trouble navigating my site : )
> http://www.scientificbeekeeping.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=70

Thanks Randy  I feel special.