From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jul 2017 08:05:04 -0400
> Is there any way to tell what flowers HONEY comes from, other than looking at the pollen?

People ask me this all the time. I tell them there are many honeys that have distinct flavor and aroma, that they aren't likely to be mistaken for anything else. Failing that, I look around to see what known honey plants are in bloom. In the end, if the honey is not distinct or identifiable, I call it wildflower and let it go at that.

I have a big box of honey from around the world. Each one is unique and not likely to be confused with another. No one would mistake Scottish heather for eucalyptus, nor thyme honey for orange.

But in the end, honey is good. Multi-floral honey definitely should not be downgraded because it's not single source. In some circles honey is medicinal, mysterious, magic. In others it is just another pleasant aesthetic experience, like jam or lemon curd. Sometimes things are better off when the sell themselves, by being what they are.

PLB