Date:
Wed, 21 Oct 2009 21:01:54 -0600
> Allen, you mentioned 110 lbs as being a minimum weight for winter. Well,
> I've weighed all my hives for the last 25+ years. I've adjusted my target
> weight up over the years so I have only a handful of starved colonies in
> the spring. In my area, a colony that only weighs 110 pounds would surely
> be dead before spring

You know, you have me wondering...

I know that was my minimum minimum years ago, and I felt it was appropriate
for the Maine seaboard in the circumstances mentioned, and assuming the
beekeeper was on guard in early spring.

That said, in my own area, 150 lbs is more appropriate.  I think I said more
is better.

My own colonies weigh about 200? and most are in three boxes.  Some are in
four (and five), but I am a hobbyist.

I"m trying to deal with the ones in four and five.