From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 2006 11:05:48 -0500
Hello Keith & All,

>In this months August, American Bee Journal, there is an article about the
great benefits of buying packages.

Thanks! I spent a lot of time contacting those different commercial
beekeepers and almond growers! I listed all their names so you could
contact. Please do!

> SHB infestation is widespread in California

Not true (says Keith)

Contact Shad Sullivan (Shamrock pollination which placed around 15,000 hives
into almonds) and ask Shad about when they entered and how they can be found
in all his hives.

two kinds of beekeepers in California today:
"those with small hive beetle and those going to get small hive beetle"

>flew an hour earlier and an hour later than his U.S. bees and really packed
in the pollen.

This is not true, Western Apicultural Society's meeting (WAS) in So Calif
this week, with data that these claims are NOT all true.

Big push to discredit Australian package bees. I am not sure why.

Maybe I should send you a copy of the video. Not only earlier but also in
the rain. The video was made by Jerry Brown (Sec. AHPA).

All the beekeepers I spoke with said they flew earlier and I work with
hundreds and they fly earlier than my U.S. bees.

Keith says:
"Bob don't believe your lying eyes"

I believe the reason the bees fly earlier is in the Australian genetics. We
were never told they would fly earlier before the import. Only something we
observed.

>replace commercial beekeeper deadout and were used to raise the bee
populations.

That's the difference between box haulers and bee haulers.

Whatever works to get bees paid for almond pollination!

I don't think you are seeing the "forest" for the trees (or past your
outfit).

Joe Traynor said in Australia when he spoke in May he only handled about 2%
of the hives going into almonds. I really thought he had a bigger piece of
the pie. What part of a % do you provide?

My friend Allen Dick once said about progress in the bee business on BEE-L:
"you can lead or follow or get the hell out of the way"

I don't want to make an enemy of you Keith. Hopefully we can agree to
disagree. Talk is cheap. Write an article for one of the bee magazines about
the way you run your bees with all the secrets you use.

When a newspaper reporter does an article they talk to one or two people in
most cases. I speak with as many as needed until I am certain I have got the
story correct.

I am doing an article on the mandarin orange/beekeeper issue and Mr. Joe
Traynor has provided information and support. We are on the same side. Joe
still calls me "old timer" but with a smile.

I write to help the industry. I contact those on the front line of the
problem and report what they say. Don't kill the messenger Keith!

I did not hear one beekeeper say he was not happy with the Australian
package bees and rest assured I would liked to have at least one upset
beekeeper to report.

I was hesitant to publish Shad Sullivan was 100% satisfied. I asked Shad if
his satisfaction level was closer to 95-99 % but he said . No! 100% so what
I published.

>When your almond broker or grower tells you your bees are not covering
enough frames to fill his contract , what can you do besides non-cost
effective combining.

>First of all, if you singed a contract it's to yours as well as his
benefit, but dropping twenty five dollars a frame for  packages is cost
effective????

It certainly is when when one third to half your hives are being completely
rejected for almonds. You already have got trucking and other expense. PLUS
the hive really comes alive with the added bees.

Ask Shaun Ryan or Jerry Brown.(from my August article. Both attend
California bee meetings)

The supply for Australian package bees in California is at its peak. Due to
limited airlines available to haul packages out of Sidney many wanting
packages for 2007 will not get bees.

>field run bees will not make the grade.

and neither will  4 pound packages.

We got $100 a package for the first pallet (see my Australian Package bees
part 1) and those growers wanted package bees only the next year. I would
guess two thirds of the Australian package bees sold into almonds this year
were simply dumped into a hive an sent into almonds. They act like a swarm
and all but the queen goes out to pollinate. Frames of solid pollen.

Call those beekeepers in my article. They are not afraid to speak the truth.
I left as many others out of the article which did not want their name used.
Those I hope to pick up in another article.

Ask yourself Keith:
"If package bees will not do as these beekeepers say why would they still be
buying and placing orders?

Heard beekeepers bad mouthing Australian package bees? If you do tell those
beekeepers to contact me as I need at least one or two to make an article
interesting.

>Work on keeping your bees healthy and strong this fall & winter, it's the
best and easiest way to have good bees next February, and you can put the
income in the bank rather than packages.

You really need to go back and carefully read my spring almond article.

UNLESS YOU TAKE YOUR BEES SOUTH OR INTO CALIFORNIA TO WINTER THEN ALL YOU
CAN PROVIDE IS FIELD RUN BEES  . You can not drop patties in and feed like
you California bee feeders do.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Author articles American Bee Journal & Bee Culture
Past Pres. Midwestern Beekeepers Assn.
Commercial migratory beekeeper
Keeping bees over forty years
has done over 5000 posts on BEE-L over the years