From:
Karen Oland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 01:21:03 -0400
One thought on the economics of taking those bee pics with a digital camera.
If you pay $4 a roll for film (24 exp), $6 for developing and prints, $4 to
get a CD-Rom created at the same time (ok, these are low prices, but useful
for comparison pricing - estimated from that mecca of fine developing,
walmart), you are looking at a minimum of $15 a roll (with taxes, not to
mentiondrtips to the store).

So, that $1,000 digital camera is paid for after 67 rolls of film, or 1600
individual pictures.  I'll admit I take quite a few pictures that I delete
afterwards (some on-site). But it is not unusual at all to take 100-200
shots when touring a garden or on vacation at an inspiring place. More than
I took when using film (when I limited myself to 4-6 rolls a day), bu I also
have quite a few good shots mixed in. The good ones I keep, along with any
family shots that are one-of-a-kind (even if not perfect), the others I
delete. It doesn't take long to pay for even high-end equipment, unless you
only take a photo or two at christmas and family re-unions.

Not to mention the CD's I've seen that come this way have low quality prints
on them. You could save the $4 and scan the ones you like yourslef, at high
resolution, but then need a good scanner and a considerable amount of time.
I've scanned in quite a few - it didn't take many to decide that the highest
resolution was not needed for the purposes I had in mind for most of the
prints.