From:
Bob Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2011 21:45:25 -0500
Hi Pete and all

300 colonies at 150 # each yields 45,000 # honey.  If sold retail at
$5/# or $11/kg =  $225, 000.  Hardly hobby or sideline.  I realize
that my figures are gross receipts with all 300 hives producing close
to average and all honey sold directly to consumers.  This also
assumes that the beekeeper produces no comb honey, pollen, propolis,
fancy  containers of special honey, nucs, hives nor queens for sale.
USA must be much bigger than I thought if all beekeepers with 50
colonies or less had backyards big enough for 50 colonies

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario
Canada
44N80W