Date:
Sat, 9 Mar 2013 12:12:45 -0500
As usual, rabbit trails seem to be created about the third post, and
occasionally earlier..

The original question, eventually answered by Methat, was the efficacy of
Hopguard.

From his post and other info sent to me, it looks like about 40-55%. What
is interesting to me is that, even after three treatments, the same
efficacy results. There does not appear to be any compounding. (I may be
wrong here, but that is what Methat's post looked like to me.)

This efficacy calculation appears to be from starting with an estimated
number of mites based on a sampling method (alcohol wash, ether roll, etc),
apply the Hopguard and measure again. Methad added another step which was
to compare Hopguard against Apivar. That step actually corroborates the
simple count/test/count method if you assume that Apivar is in the
97-99.999% kill range. (Hopguard kills about 50% and Apivar drops another
50% or so.- I rounded off by 10% since it could be 55/45 or 40/60 so 50/50
fits as well.)

The reason for my question was that several local beekeepers have pinned
their hopes on Hopguard since it is "organic" and "natural". Some are fully
on the anti-neonic bandwagon and know that the neonics are the reason for
most of their troubles. Truth is, just about every winter kill they have
had are from Varroa or starvation, the usual culprits. There are many local
pied pipers, so it gets to be like watching train wrecks on TV. You know it
is going to happen but no one on the TV listens.

It would have been nice if Hopguard gave more than about a 50% drop since
there are many other treatments that are a benign that accomplish the same
and are less expensive (sugar dusting, sumac smoke, screened bottom boards,
essential oils, etc.). Add that if it is not compounding the drop, then why
even bother with more than one treatment?

It could be useful for a colony in the middle of gathering honey, as a
stopgap until reliable treatments could be used, but, my guess is by then
you would be over the cliff.

I would love to hear from anyone currently using Hopguard and if their
experience has led them to results that are better than a 50% or so
efficacy. I will let the local beekeepers know of any differences so they
can make up their own minds..

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine