From:
John Oldfather <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 May 1995 08:55:46 -0400
I have had 2 experiences with laying worker colonies.  Re-queening such
colonies did not work for me.  However, the following procedure was
successful:  I dismantled the colonies and moved the deeps approx. 100 yards
away from the original hive location.  I brushed all off the frames and other
parts into the grass.  I re-assembled the empty colony on the original hive
site and installed a caged queen between frames in the usual manner.  The
bulk of the bees returned to the hive.  In a week's time the queen had been
released and accepted.  The hives went on to be normal, productive,
queen-right colonies.

In answer to your first question:  I have identified laying worker colonies
when there is an excessive number of drones and there is no <<normal>> brood
and I see only drone brood and the pattern is spotty and irregular.  You may
also see multiple eggs per cell and the eggs may be situated oddly, such as,
to the side of the cell.

Hope this is helpful.

John Oldfather