From:
"Gordon D. Hayes" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 1995 02:18:47 -0400
>1. What is the longest time to keep the hive open? The temp was in the mid
>60's. ... I must have had it open over an hour.

Don't leave it open any longer than necessary.

>2. I went into it again Sunday  Could not find the Queen. I saw larva in
various stages >and saweggs and I saw capped brood. Somewhere I read that if
the queen dies that a
>worker will start laying eggs but the brood will be all male. Is it a drone
>or a regular size worker that is a male?

The biggest mistake that new beekeepers make (I was told) is to over
manipulate the hive. You saw the various stages of larvae. That is usually a
good indicator of a healthy hive. Drones are the males. ALL the workers are
female.

>4. There are a lot of frames that have old black comb that is misshaped and
>hard. I am thinking of starting to swap it out and let the bees start
>a-new. Comments?

Definately. I read an article lately in one of the bee magazines (American
Bee Journal or Bee Culture) that said definately replace the old black comb.
Your bees will thank you.

>5. I placed a new super on top Saturday but there were almost no bees in it
>on Sunday.

Unless there is a honey flow going on, they will not do much in the super.

>6.  I am really trying not to were gloves so I can be gentle but I really
want to >minimize the getting stung part.( I have very sensitive skin...:))

I found that I personally got stung more wearing gloves than when I didn't.
Guess I worked more carefully. :)

Here's to a bountiful crop!

gh