From:
Andy Nachbaur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Dec 1998 16:17:49 -0800
At 01:28 PM 12/18/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 17:20:48 -0400
>From: Eunice Wonnacott <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology
>Subject: Re: APOLOGY TO ALL!

>Eunice says:
>When I first read your post re chinese honey being imported to canada
>and then  blended with canadian Honey, and shipped to the United States,
>I thought it was another "Urban Legend"  wsiththe names reversed, as
>several years ago the stoory had the US importing chinese honey
>directly, to accommodate a shortfall in the american honey crop.

Hi Eunice, and Beekeeping Friends,

Its true the US has for many years had a shortfall between honey produced
and honey consumed. At times it may approach 50% of our total consumption.
This is filled by importing honey from producers in many countries
including Canada and Mexico which seems normal as we boarder each other.
Chinese honey is today along with honey from dozens of countries around the
world is being imported into the US for consumption here. Our consumer
honey products are required by law to be labeled as country of origin and
are. Honey processed for industrial use may not be required to be labeled
as to country of origin and much imported honey is purchased directly by
food industries that use honey in their own product manufacturing bypassing
all regular US honey trade channels such as our packers and stealers.

In Canada it seems that national honey production is about equal to
national honey consumption yet records seem to indicate that Canada has for
a number of years imported honey in excess of its own normal consumption
needs and has exported an approximate equal amount of "Canadian" honey to
the US...?  I am sure this can be explained because of the demand for lower
quality honey's in the Canadian food manufacturing but that does not change
the look of it. Most of the honey shipped to the US is from countries that
actually produce more then they could ever be expected to consume and in
some cases this may be the majority of their domestic crop. China is not
one of these countries and is looking for US trade dollars regardless of
the value of their honey. I no longer know how to classify Canada after
being forced to look closer at their stats and because of their involvement
with Chinese honey in the past and even in the light that the major player
in the Canadian Chinese connection may no longer be in business.

> I am saddened and sorry if dishonesty or deception were involved in this.  It
>would seem, however, if the process is legal, and clearly identified on
>the label, then the buyer will vote "with the pocketbook" about
>preference.  It is too bad that laws about honey and blending could ;not
>be as stringent as those involving Maple Syrup.  (Canadian Laws,
>anyway).

I am sad too, but NO one has said what happened in Canada with Chinese
honey was against any Law, maybe it is or should be, or do I say its even
bad business practice as making a profit is not against the law here but
deception and racketeering is if it can be proved.

What I have said is that because of the Chinese/Canadian honey experience
for me and maybe others I am not easily persuaded at first blush to join
with Canadian beekeepers, many whom are accepted as California beekeepers
because of their long association with our own industry, in any effort to
stop the sale of a high fructose sugar product from India until I know more
then what I have seen to this time. I have nothing personal against any
Canadian beekeeper or their production or sale of honey, its more a
credibility problem they have and because of some Canadians continuing to
deny what is now part of the public record but was kept quite here in the
US at the time because of a ongoing investigation by our own federal trade
authorities.

At the same time I am looking for more information and may become as
concerned as many are in the near future. At this time H-ana it is just
another HF cane sugar syrup like many others that is using some
questionable advertising to sell itself which I dislike as much as anyone
else but may be in fact as true for all other HF and HFC sugar manufactures
but who place more value on the good will of others then to publicly
advertise in this objectionable way.

The US honey industry had fought a long and costly trade battle with China
and had won a substantial limitation on the importation of Chinese honey
only to find out after it was all done that a corresponding increase of
honey from China was imported into Canada and transhipped to the US as a
Canadian product and subverted all legal US efforts to limit the
importation of honey from China. Maybe not well know by Canadian or US
beekeepers, or even an illegal act in Canada, our good NAFTA partner, but
surely not a friendly act towards US beekeepers who had worked so hard to
bring fair trade to honey produced in China because it was being  sold at a
lower price in the US then its real cash value in China which is not
permitted by any country under international trade treaty.

Chow, the OLd Drone
Los Banos, California

http://beenet.com

(c)Permission is given to copy this document
in any form, or to print for any use.

(w)OPINIONS are not necessarily facts. USE  AT OWN RISK!