From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 2003 08:48:43 -0600
> > All that is necessary is to add ~10% of the estimated volume in
> >*sterile* water before filling.

> A assume you only mean  water from a potable water source . Surely
> you do not mean distilled water or similar product?

(For clarity, and easy quoting, without confusion, it would be nice if
people would use the quote capability in their email software to insert
carets ('>') into quotes.  Outlook Express does so by default and can be
set to do so under 'Tools | Options | Send | Plain Text Settings.
Without following that convention, it gets very hard to see who said
what).

At any rate, I don't know the microbial or fungi content of the water
supply you may consider potable.  'Potable' water sources like wells and
some public supplies may not always be free of microbial life that could
(eventually) spoil your syrup.  We use the municipally treated water
available locally, and drive a distance to get water that does not
contain much fluoride.

Inasmuch as there have been a number of deaths from drinking municipal
water, and resulting scandals, in Canada over the past few years, we
trust that now all such municipal supplies are properly treated and
regularly tested, and that precautions have been taken to prevent
contamination.

> > The agitation of pumping mixes it just fine.
>
> I wondered about the areation method we were told about as we
> have added water first before and not had a mixing problem *if*>
> added before pumping or during pumping. During pumping worked best
> but you have to guess at the volume added.

I don't guess.  I know the initial concentration, and I know the desired
concentration, and I know the volume of the tank.  The calculation is
primary school math.  Precise accuracy is not important.  As I said,
just adding 10% of the tank's volume before adding syrup works fine.  I
have 1,250 gallons sitting here, outside.  It has experienced a minus 35
winter and a plus 90 degree summer and has not fermented or crystalized.

> The beekeepers said if we didn't the water would not mix and freeze
> over a cold winter.

Baloney.

> > Don't buy any off-spec HFCS.

> The problem is we get the *off spec* free of charge. What we get is
> usually of a less percentage than 42% which we feed in spring when
> bees are flying. We have been getting the scrape for many years and
> the plant knows which syrup can be fed to bees and which can't. Never
> had a problem.

We never buy syrup except through reputable bee suppliers, and never buy
without getting written assurance that the syrup is first-class.

> The same for freight damaged cane  sugar. I have bought and fed many
> drums/pallets.

Freight damage, broken bags, and a little dirt are not a problem.
Off-spec product that was screwed up in the processing is something that
is not worth gambling with.

The problem is that the effects of poor feed may not show up until long
after feeding, and may not be obvious, even when they do.

Top quality feed is worth every penny.

allen
http://www.honeybeeworld.com