From:
Jeremy Rose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Mar 2009 20:32:53 -0700
"I gather you have a degree of resistance to mites and brood disease in your
stock and are quite local to your pollination orchards?

If you don't mind my asking, is your experience in pollination similar to
Bob's report in that the bees require routine and across the board
treatment?

Are you surrounded by migratory beekeepers?"

I operate 100 hives and my stock is more resistant to varroa than
unselected stock (I know because I always have a dozen or so pure
italian hives in my program that are from packages that I buy from Bob
Brandy, and I also catch swarms which are very susceptible to mites.)
For the past two years my winter loss has been 10%.  The resistance that
my bees have is not enough to make them survive completely on their own.
I can overwinter the pure Italian hives but they generally need to be
requeened first thing in spring to eliminate mite buildup.  I have also
bred from queens that are selected from local stock, which I found to
show the hygienic traits with the liquid nitrogen test.

My program is to move the hives 200 miles east to the almonds, then
bring them back to the coast and make sage honey (only 1 honey flow per
year here).  I do not do a spring mite treatment, except with maybe a
few overwintered Italian hives.  After that the hives are prepared for
almonds again next year and are not moved to other crops to pollinate.
I remove drone brood monthly from March - July.  In August I use
apiguard.  I feed pollen from August to January.   I observe the hives
in October, and if there is a mite influx I will use apiguard again,
otherwise feeding sugar and pollen is sufficient to have large hives in
December.  The hives can be kept alive without doing the drone brood
removal, but they perform better if it is done diligently.  I have
never, over the past 3 years that I have operated used any pesticide
other than apiguard to deal with the mites.

I am surrounded by migratory beekeepers mainly November through March,
but get a respite during the spring and summer.  My hives do seem to
pick up a lot of mites while in almonds, but they are removed when the
frame of drone brood is cut out in March.

--Jeremy Rose
The California Bee Company