From:
Steve Noble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Mar 2008 11:18:31 -0500
Randy writes:  “Although I admire the goals of the organic beekeepers, I
doubt that
many commercial beekeepers would be eager to sustain heavy losses in
order to further "the cause."

     I’m not a small cell beekeeper yet, but I really have to stop and
think about the above statement.  Isn’t it really like saying no one would
want to sustain heavy losses in order to prevent heavy losses?  I mean here
we are; large scale commercial beekeepers are suffering terrible losses
right and left, many on the verge of going out of business and there’s this
whole group of beekeepers saying we have the answer, we’ve been doing this
for 25 years.  The Lusbys, by the way, think they are commercial
beekeepers.
     An outfit would not have to convert their whole operation all at
once.  One could convert a percentage at a time.  If you didn’t do it
exactly as prescribed, though, and it didn’t work you would not be able to
say small cell doesn’t work.
     Also Randy, while I’m on your case, if you do an experiment and you
don’t measure certain parameters such as mite load and then both the
experiment and the control crash what have you learned?  You would have to
be looking very carefully to know if there were any colonies that had
absolutely no mites and did not crash, but that would tend to support your
hypotheses that the crashing was due to virus at low mite level.  Otherwise
it is possible those viruses could be completely independent of Varroa
mites, or that the crashes were due to some other cause.  Did you test for
Tracheal mites?  Could the same be said about them, that they might carry
lethal viruses even at low levels of infestation?  What other possible
vectors for viruses might there be?
    Also, Randy, while I’m on your case, I understand the financial
sacrifices you make for the love of beekeeping, but it can’t be all that
bad.  At least you can afford a brand new microscope ;>)

Steve Noble