From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Jul 2014 10:56:23 -0400
> I really wrankle at the idea of trying to
> wipe out certain plants that are on
> various hit lists (some are great bee plants).

The words of a man who has never faced either Kudzu or Burdock.

Kudzu was approaching my land along a poorly-maintained power line run.  I
borrowed some goats, and erected temporary fences to keep them eating the
Kudzu.  The nearby city itself was the power company, and they took
exception to my fences and goats on their right-of-way, sending me a notice
that they would literally "get my goat" if I did not remove them promptly.
The goats and I invited the city down to the county courthouse to discuss
their letter, and the magistrate agreed that the city owed a rental fee to
the man from whom I had borrowed the goats, as it was the city's
responsibility to keep their rights-of-way cleared of "overgrowth", and it
was not my obligation to control the Kudzu and protect my acreage from the
invasive species.  So, the goats got a payday!

Burdock, another invasive plant... not even napalm stops it.  All one can do
is keep cutting, and not give it a chance to flower.  After about 4 years,
it dies out, but woe betide the fellow who falls behind on his cutting.
Broadleaf herbicides work, but they would also take out the clovers.

That said, Georgia (the US State, not the former Soviet Republic) beekeepers
sell Kudzu honey, and it honestly does taste exactly like Nehi Grape Soda
when tasted soon after harvest.  Stored Kudzu honey loses this flavor in 30
to 60 days.  The taste is the weirdest thing ever, as your brain rejects the
information being provided by your taste buds, yet your taste buds refuse to
relent.