From:
Bob Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jan 2015 15:14:59 -0500
On 19-Jan-15, at 8:58 AM, Peter Loring Borst wrote:

> I have been thinking a lot for the past few years about colony
> lifespan, and how it reflects the health and/or vigor of the honey
> bee colony. I am looking for hard data on how long individual
> colonies last, without intervention. By intervention, that would
> mean requeening, adding brood, etc.

Hi Pete

I have 13 colonies working their way through this strange winter.  7
are nucs started last June, one is a swarm (not mine) hived last
July.  The other 4, the source of last year's nucs, are my nucs
started in June 2010, July 2011, and 2 in June 2012.  I sold all of
my 2013 nucs.  I don't move frames of brood around and don't buy
queens/cells except when starting nucs.

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario
Canada