From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 07:09:50 -0500
> Why not do colony shake downs into new equipment?
> Infected frames (wood is destroyed) and wax processed
> (wax press) as mentioned in Hive and the Honeybee
> which destroys AFB spores.

I'm glad Clay mentioned this.  It's been some time since I read the NZ paper
(booklet), but my recollection is that the bees can be shaken from infected
wquipment into clean equipment (new frames with foundation) thereby saving
the stock.  The bees must be confined for two days to consume any honey that
may be in their systems.  Thereafter, any traces of AFB will be pooped out
of the hive on cleansing flights.

However, saving such stock actually is counterproductive in that it will
maintain stock that has proven to be susceptible to AFB infection.  Perhaps
requeening should be part of the procedure.

> Maybe its time to get laws changed?
Absolutely!  First on my list would be to have the laws acknowledge that
irradiating equipment kills AFB bacteria and spores.

Aaron Morris - thinking nuked equipment is preferable to ashes!