From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 2008 16:01:22 -0400
Jerry Bromenshenk wrote:

> Finally, as per cancer.  I'd be very cautious about implying bee  stings can
> cure cancer.  Any beekeeper who gets melanoma can't really say  that bees
> stings then cured it.  Presumably the beekeeper had been  stung before developing
> the melanoma.

I agree. With me there was no cure, but the melanoma, for some reason, was kept in check. It is one of the few
cancers whose treatment is through the immune system, since it seems to be countered by a healthy immune system.

I totally agree that my case and that of the other beekeeper in my area are anecdotal. But it is interesting
that the factors involved in bee stings are also involved in combating melanoma.

Melanoma is a cancer that really starts early in life but does not show itself until later. Those sunburns in
youth can lead to its eventual appearance. I grew up in Miami and Key West and lived in the water. That was
before sun block. Plus years at sea in the Navy and then seven years stationed in Hawaii (2 and 5 year tours)
kept up my UV index.

My melanoma was not cured. It had to be removed, both the on the skin and later the lymph node. But, as noted,
it was kept in check even though it was in my neck for what was probably several years. Most often, it is fairly
aggressive and spreads to other lymph nodes, but mine stayed put even though it grew to walnut size. My Doctor,
when he told me I had malignant melanoma, looked at me as if I was a dead man. He lost a close friend, with the
same exact circumstances I had, a few months after diagnosis.

All cancers are not alike, even those with the same name. So I could have a less aggressive malignant melanoma.

I would never recommend bee stings for malignant melanoma, but I do sting myself regularly for both arthritis
(which did work immediately for me as it did for your Dad) and for the melanoma. My last PET scan showed no
detectable cancer. So, like those who eat honey for allergies, whether it works or not, I sting myself for the
same reason.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine