From:
Gary Wheaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jun 2005 13:28:19 -0400
OK Allen you asked for it. I'm a Gulf war Vet (disabled) who uses bees as
theripy for PTSD, and as a hobby, I enjoy Extractions and swarm capture,
while I work my bee I can't think of anything else 'cept what is going on
right in front of me. My doctor is very suportive of my bees as he finds
that I require less of the prescriptions that have been prescribed to me
for control of depression and sleeplessness. I sell very little of my
honey, if I do it is out the gate and I only ask for a donatation, I trade
honey for things I need or gift it to elders. In the way my wife and I
follow (indian-Blackfeet) a gift of food is a highly thought of gift. My
bees are my 'babies' I try to maintain a chemical free enviroment for them
using essential oils and natural products only. My honey is raw and just
warmed enough to flow easily and no more, about 120, then bottled.
I got started when we asked an elder beekeeper for a hive for pollination
of our small orchard, about a year later we found out he had a stroke and
was in a nurseing home. That hive died out and the next year a swarm took
over the empty box. I was at a lost  of what to do after asking a number
of people we know we found one that kept bees as a hobby and was willing
to maintain the hive on my property, a year after that he had to relocate
out of state for work and asked me  if I wanted his other five hives-Sure
why not said I-lost all six the first year  the next I bought 5-3lb
packages of Russians and started extractions, lost the russians and the
ferial colnies that i've got have been going strong. Have lost a few over
the winter and keep my colnies up thru extractions and swarm capture.
Almost at my limit now of 25 hives. I read BEE/L and also Beesource. both
have a wealth of info, subcribe to ABJ.
I'm always willing to try something new and experiment to try to make
something easier or more efficent.
My Girls keep my mind working.
AND LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT.
WHEN YOU CLOSE YOUR EYES, WE ALL LOOK THE SAME> GWPW 03