From:
Steve Petrilli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Mar 2014 15:22:34 -0400
I have no idea what part of the country you are located in, but I can presume it is not Illinois.  There is not any planting taking place in my vicinity as the soil temperature is not where it should be and it is too wet.

Why not visit the farmer and take him some honey (and apples, peaches, plums, apricots or whatever crops your orchard produces) instead of calling him?  Are you sure you even have the right number or that he is getting your messages?

On the surface, it appears you are just itching for your 15 minutes of fame.

Your wannabe community organizer and occupyist tactics will not win many friends or influence enemies.   Trespassing on private property and trying to block the farmers equipment with your equipment will most likely not end up well for you or your bee trucks.  If I was the farmer, I would end up owning everything you had by the time it was said and done.   Do you have a clue how much one typical tractor/planter or combine even costs?   It is not unusual for the new price tag to be in 6 figures.

The farmer has a right to plant crops as it is his land which he either owns or leases.  It is not your land to criminally trespass onto.

No,  I am not a farmer, but I have several who are and they are ALSO bee keepers.

You are a farmer as well, but with specialty crops (bees and honey being some of them), along with the products from your orchard.

My suggestion is to have a face to face meeting (not a confrontation) with the farmer, you may find you both have something in common and can come to a workable agreement with him being able to give you advance notice to close off your hive entrances the night before or day before.

The only people who watch and complain about the weather more than farmers, are bee keepers.   When you have a farmer who is also a bee keeper... watch out!!!

Steve Petrilli
Central Illinois

Virtually surrounded by corn and soybean fields.