From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 12:02:05 -0500
Jim asked about my upper entrances.

These are nothing more than a 1" piece of wood ripped (cut lengthwise) from
a cedar shingle.  Two of these are then nailed and glued to the long sides
of an inner cover.  The inner cover side with these on it are put down under
the outer cover (in the normal manner).

Since using these I no longer have bees clustering outside the hives in
summer and do not get bees building burr comb between the inner and outer
cover.  I also do not have any hive deaths from winter/spring moisture.

The only disadvantages are:
1. Burr comb is built up under the inner cover
2. The bees will not draw foundation or comb in the front of the hive (under
the opening) and the hive body must be turned around if comb or foundation
is to be drawn.

I did not invest this method of creating an upper entrance, but don't
understand why everyone doesn't use it!

Lloyd
Mailto:[log in to unmask]
Lloyd Spear Owner, Ross Rounds, Inc.  The finest in comb honey production.
Visit our web site at http://www.rossrounds.com.