Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 10:42:50 -0700
--- James Fischer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Aaron Morris said:
>
> >> So, who wants to participate in drafting a
> proposed set of standards?
> >> Anyone?
>
> > Count me out.  Standards are all fine and good,
> but only work when
> > they're followed.
>
> While the participation of every beekeeper is not
> required,
> how can anyone "follow" something that does not
> exist?
> Clearly, some group must create something worth
> following.
> One must start somewhere, sometime.

There is a generic quality standard that could be used
to establish processes and procedures for beekeeping
generally, and to establish standards for suppliers. I
am thinking of ISO 9000, a widely used quality system.

The power of any standard lies in the number of folks
choosing to comply. With sufficient numbers and a
"value-added" system, suppliers would find that they
had to comply to acquire and keep customers.

Such a quality system could also be used to assure
consumers that the bee products they buy meet a
standard of purity.

This would address more than woodwork, of course.

Richard