From:
Rok Vidmar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Aug 1992 08:21:58 -0400
=.>    From what I've read, I understand that bees orient themselves with
=.> respect to the asimuth of the sun.  This brought up the question of what
=.> do bees do on the equinoxes at local noon on the equator?  I don't see
=.> how there could be any light polarization effect in this situation
=.> either.
=.
=.
=. The sun travels from east to west, and shadow can be measures at any
=. time of the day. The sun azimuth plus a time will provide a direction.
=
=    It's not quit clear to me that you understood the question.  Under
= the condition I mentioned the sun has no azimuth.  It's like asking
= what the longitude of the north pole is? Is the north pole east or
= west of Greenwhich?  Also, there are no shadows, except directly under
= overhanging objects.  The sun is directly overhead, 90 degrees up.

 Interesting question but:
- How long does noon last?
- What percentage the equinox noons take out of one year's noons?
- What percentage of Earth's land lies on the equator?
- Does "no polarization" represent no information at all?

Regards,

Rok Vidmar                     x.400:  S=vidmar;G=rok;O=uni-lj;P=ac;A=mail;C=yu
UCC, University of Ljubljana   inet:   [log in to unmask]
Kardeljeva pl. 17              phone:  +38 61 183579
61000 Ljubljana		       fax:    +38 61 183534
Slovenia