From:
"Glen B. Glater" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Glen B. Glater
Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 1997 13:49:20 -0400
Hi folks.

OK, I've been watching the traffic for a while and I've seen lots of
messages that say:

"Keep feeding 1:1 sugar water, the bees will stop taking it when
there is a good source of nectar."

Here in MA just west of Boston, I have 2 hives and have boardman
feeders on each.  The hives seem to go through a quart of 1:1 sugar
water every 2-3 days, and they don't seem to be slowing down.  I put
fresh on last night and one hive had made a noticible dent by this
morning!

I am concerned that the honey that I get is going to be made from this
sugar syrup instead of nectar.

So, I'm asking again...

Should I be feeding my hives 1:1 sugar water still or should I stop?
Is it possible that there is such a dearth of nectar in the area that
they need this to survive?

Voices of experience, let me know what you think.

Thanks.

--glen