From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Sep 2015 19:09:51 -0700

> >What if its not the bees,  but the mites that are different??

With the rapid movement of any successful strain of mites by either robbing
or human-aided transport, it's difficult for me to imagine how any non
isolated population of bees would not be invaded by the most virulent
strain of mites.  There is simply no downside to the mites to exhibit the
greatest rate of reproduction in order to out compete any other strain of
mite.

Conversely, it would be adaptive for any locally-adapted stock of bees to
develop resistance to both mites and local pathogens (including viruses).

Bottom line, I'll put my money on the bees developing resistance rather
than on the mites becoming benign--so long as we maintain high host
(colony) density.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA