From:
Gerard Worrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 1995 11:43:08 -0400
A quick method of adding a feeder on top of a colony, suggested by our
state bee inspector. Put syrup in a ziplock bag and lay on top of the
brood chamber. Enclose with an empty shallow super and slit the flat bag
with a razor blade. The surface tension keeps the syrup from running out
especially if it is a flat surface. ( May pose a problem with inspecting
later if they haven't taken all the syrup? Just lift the bag by the slit
edges and lay on the inner cover. Did not pose a problem while my bees
were inspected today!)

Save those worn brood chambers with corners broken off, some mouse
damage,etc. I use plastic wood, miracle wood, ( whatever brand is
available) to fill holes. Splice in a piece of wood if the damage is
worse. Last resort, cut down to Illinois or shallow super size for an
extra super. A shallower piece can be used for feeding with the Ziplock
bags. Keeping that piece of equipment in use one more season can be a help.