From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jul 2004 10:32:46 -0500
Steve said:
There is a very interesting discussion of neonicotinoids (Imidacloprid
or Prescribe is one)in the May/June issue of Apiculture News,

Eric Mussen commands respect in beekeeping circles.

 Most of the commercial beekeeping world is asleep when it comes to what
easily could be a problem which could be as problematic as varroa.

I say the above because only a very small group of beekeepers attend Jerry
B. & Eric M. talks at national conventions.

I have been around beekeeping since a teenager. In my opinion I do not see
any of the products ( listed at the  site) being pulled from sale just
because of problems with honey bees. Past history has been only a bee
warning on the label. Chemical makers fight such warnings because they put
applicators & makers in danger of lawsuits such as the one in progress now.

The task of proving * beyound a reasonable doubt* Imidacloprid is the cause
of current bee problems * in the U.S.* is formidable. The site quotes
research from overseas which will be put down by lawyers of the chemical
companies as dated and of poor quality.

Linking bee problems flying through a maze after being exposed to
neonicotinoids  will be pointed out by chemical company lawyers as different
than actual beekeeping situations.

After many decades of observing lawsuits between beekeepers & chemical
companies and the results I sadly see the same results.

My prediction is that possibly the beekeepers (in current lawsuit) will win
and get compensation ( maybe not and be out huge lawyer fees which has
happened many times in the past) and if so then chemical companies will have
to put a bee warning on the products containing imidacloprid. I do not see
the imidacloprid products being pulled *only* because of honey bee loss .
Many chemicals are used  every year in the U.S. which kill honey bees.

If I were Jerry B. and going into court to fight the use of imadacloprid I
would  find a safe chemical for honey bees to replace imadicloprid with and
argue that the use of imadicloprid is simply not needed as other chemicals
are avilable which do the same job and registration should be pulled for
imadicloprid.

Sadly if imadicloprid is the only chemical which will do the job then I am
afraid a knock down battle is brewing fueled by growers which want the
imadicloprid products and have got crops which do not need honey bees for
pollination.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison