From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Oct 2005 07:22:38 +0100
Gilles Maguet wrote:

> I've seen websites featuring gift packs containing 9, one ounce
> test-tubes filled with a variety of honey flavours selling for $78 US
> funds plus shipping.

'Gift packs' probably do offer the most expensive honey (that one works out
at £77.81 per lb), simply because of the small amount of honey that they
contain - they are really selling packaging rather than honey.  When I
asked, I was really thinking about standard sizes like 1lb or 1/2lb.

> A beekeeper in my area (NorthWest, Manitoba) sells 30 lb pails of honey
> to a few enterprising individuals from Colorado and California for $60 (
> US funds) each.

That is only £1.12 per lb.  Would expect around £1.40 to £1.50 in the UK.

>  They in turn mark it up to as much as $150 each.
£2.81 per lb.  Most consumers here would expect it to be in jars for that
price, but I think that the price would be less of a barrier than the 30lb
pack size.  I have tried selling bulk packs to my customers, but not many
seem to want 30lb buckets - even if it saves them quite a considerable
amount of money.

Peter Edwards