From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Aug 2014 11:54:02 -0700
>In a nutshell, this is why we do breeding in the first place, because the
bees with the right stuff aren't going to show up at the doorstep. Unless,
you accept African bees which are apparently varroa tolerant.

Hardly the case, Pete!  I've visited with, and inspected colonies of, a
number of beekeepers  (in non Africanized areas) with long-time survivor
stock that is both gentle and productive, and apparently not Africanized.

Those bees indeed "just showed up at the doorstep," because while we shout,
complain, and gesture, and delay the course of evolution by human
intervention, old Mom Nature just keeps quietly plugging along with her
selective process despite us.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA