From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jan 2017 15:19:01 -0600
> Although they are classified as inerts, OSS’s have exhibited toxic effects on honeybees. Worldwide OSS production in 2008 was estimated to be 1.3 billion pounds and yearly use has continued to increase, while in California almonds, hundreds of thousands of pounds of OSS formulations are used every year, often during bloom.

And for that the information is quite valuable!  We can get even smarter about not spraying during bloom, which is already happening.  One should also note that the OSS in itself  does not seem to be a problem,  hence the inert classification.  Its when other virus "exogenous viral pathogens"  are applied.

"The high survivorship of larvae to adults in the Ctrl group allowed us to examine the impacts of chronic OSS exposure and early viral exposure (Fig. 3). OSS + V experienced a 44.45% increased mortality as compared to controls; whereas, OSS alone resulted in a 4.09% higher mortality and viral-exposure alone (Ctrl + V) had 21.56% higher mortality relative to Ctrl. If exposure to OSS and viruses had additive effects on mortality, a 25.65% loss relative to Ctrl would have been observed; however, the observed mortality with exposure to OSS and virus was nearly twice this, indicating a synergistic rather than additive interaction."

So clearly OSS and viral loads are an issue,  but it appears that OSS alone is not much of one.  The 10 PPM level used seems to me to be an unlikely event.

But that brings up another issue entirely if you’re a thinking person.  Obviously many here would want this classified as "Not inert"  but think that thru.  If the litmus test becomes  "inert under all conditions" almost nothing is inert. Even water itself.   While we do need to learn and do everything possible to help,  we also must take on some of the risk. Nothing is completely inert.  But is the tradeoff of tons of early pollen and nectar worth that risk?

As we as beekeepers make more and more demands,  others are working harder and harder to develop things like Independence almonds.  Think bees are declining now?  Kill the need for almond pollination and watch the industry collapse completely.

You should read his research on in have approved (varro) pesticide synergies.  We are our own worst enemy.

Charles