From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Apr 2012 21:43:03 -0500
>How do you know these ditches were not sprayed.  Just curious.

Round up is fairly expensive to be spraying ditches with. What I see are
random places.
In my area only newly *moved from city* folks worry about the ditches. The
next year they do as the rest of us do and let the county mow a couple time
a year.

Some mow the ditch in front of their houses and some farmers mow but not
roundup.

> Often times they do around here to prevent sediment build up from heavy
> plant growth...spraying is cheaper than a backhoe and hauling.

The power and light sprays 2 4 D from a truck mounted sprayer under its
power lines but only on tree growth. I have complained but as you say
cheaper than cutting out. 2 4 D kills weeds and trees completely from what I
see. Everyplace the herbicide hits is brown and dead.

>I have photos of the spraying events...all county controlled.  We place
>signs in areas we do not want sprayed.

The county uses Mexican crews to back pack spray for certain noxious plants.
They are dropped off and picked up. I have complained as the crew sprays
when bees are visiting the plants as does power and light. They say spot
spraying can be done  .

My losses have been minimal from both.

Crop dusting of soybeans has made me move from one area. Not sure what they
were using but noticed a loss of field bees.

Corn plantings I avoid as I have said before.

bob