From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Apr 2004 14:05:46 -0500
Hello Michael & All,
You read my posts carefully and you and I are on the same page.

You are looking at the situation correctly.

 The drones you get this year will be next years drone source.

I doubt you will get a inferior II queen. We never have. We did have one
arrive at the post office dead in the cage once but Glenn Apiairies replaced
her right away.

Two years is the time it takes to get a Russian line going but if you are
dealling totally with hybrids then the Russian/Russian will allude you.

I remember talking to you last year by direct email about the Russians
(correct me if wrong as I deal with a bunch of email).
Keep me posted as to your progress!

All indications so far is I will not be happy in the end with the Russian
bee. I could write a book about keeping the Italian bee (as could many
beekeepers). George I.& Sue Colby  could write a book on keeping carniolans
(as could others).

A handfull of us are taking a look at the mysterious Russian bee (not
Italian or carniolan). Maybe Charlie Harper or a few others could write a
small handout about the Russian bee ( Manley B. has)but too early for a
book!
The Russian bee is the first  RACE to be introduced *legally* since the
bordors were closed in the 1920's. Maybe Michael, Charlie and myself are
only curious but the Russian bee is certainly different in many ways than
the races I have been working with for over 40 years!
Michael said:
 I don't see where the queen breeders have any incentive to sell straight
russians as now you have to buy them every year since you don't have
straight bees and as you say how can you evaulate them the way they are.

 True! But when queen breeders do not offer what the beekeepers are looking
for the beekeepers  go other places or do the project ourselves.

Michael said:
If the queen breeders don't start providing them straight I would feel that
the money the govenment spent on this project is a waste.

YOU ARE SO RIGHT MICHAEL!    I think the problem lies with all the gloom &
doom put out by beekeepers about the Russian project from the start. Waste
of time and money many said! At least the USDA has tried through Russian
bees, SMR and several other methods to come up with a varroa resistant bee.

Only being honest and realize I have got close friends which are queen
breeders I respectfully ask!

What have our U.S. queen breeders came up with in the same period of time?
Are any even looking for a bee which will tolerate varroa?

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison