From:
Peter Detchon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 2006 09:18:48 +0800
Reading the "new queen takes 5" string has stimulated another question in my mind related to queen physiology. Our climate here in Western Australia is usually described as "warm temperate", or "Mediteranean". Because of this and the abundant melliferous flora, our hives can be producing all year, and the queens will continue to lay all year, except in what can be described as unusual circumstances. Migratory beekeeping means that the hives are moved to new sites with strong flow conditions as soon as the conditions start to decline on their current sites. This means that the queens almost never get to take a rest from intensive egg laying. Sure we see variations in activity in response to day length and temperature fluctuations, but in real terms, for her its a full-time job with no holidays, no days off, no sickies! Net result is that we do wear them out quickly, and for most commercial honey producers here, annual replacement is a fact of life. The question is, would a holiday give them a new lease of life? Would, say a month or so on cool dearth conditions, where the colony survived on stores without foraging, and the queen shut down laying, reinvigorate both the queen and the hive to the point where annual replacement would not be required? Would any other benefits accrue to the hive (and the beekeeper) that would make this an attractive option?

I know this is an experiment I can easily try, but there is so much experience here on this list that I am sure someone will have an interesting and scientifically valid response!

Peter Detchon
Western Australia