From:
Max Watkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 1999 10:04:21 +0100
It could mean that the mite infestation is very light; even after just 24
hrs I would have expected larger mite drops if you had a serious
infestation. However, if you're at all sceptical - ie if you're seeing lots
of mites on adult bees afterwards (ether roll test etc) or in the brood
cells you should leave the Apistan in for the full treatment period (6
weeks)and double-check after this with another, secondary control method as
a test.

If, after this second treatment there are high numbers of mites live in the
colony, it could be that there is a tolerant strain of mite in your hive.
Before reaching this conclusion (which many people assume all too quickly)
you really need to see it for yourself.

Pyrethroid resistant mites, if they are there will not be just in ones and
twos but in hundreds. If you're NOT seeing huge mite numbers after the
Apistan treatment pyrethroid resistance is probably not (yet) an issue for
you to deal with.

As with other veterinary and agricultural pest control regimes, different
types of treatment should be alternated where possible as good Integrated
Pest Management. For us in beekeeping this means licenced treatments and/or
use of biological/mechanical manipulation/use of known natural remedies
where permitted.

Noone should fool themselves that just putting [any] one type of hive
treatment in the hive is the end of the story. Varroa is a mean bugger and
is determined to live off our bees.

In our history, try as we might, humans have not eliminated a single insect
or mite pest from our planet; in some cases we can achieve control.
Vigilance and a flexible approach are essential to keep Varroa at acceptably
low levels.

Sorry if this goes on a bit but I think it's important.

Hope to see some of you at Vancouver.

Max