From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Sep 2005 22:17:12 -0500
Hello Joe & All,
. If you want the researchers to put* merit in your testing* you have to
follow their rules. They have to be able to go out and do the same
experiment and get similar results.

In the case of the Norway experiment they would need to use OA to clear the
hives of varroa. have no way of knowing if any varroa are in the hives. toss
in chalkbrood and then get a similar varroa drop .

Researchers read but usually do not post on internet lists . Those reading
see my point . you have to play by their rules to get their respect. Many
beekeepers will follow any pied piper!

Most scientific journals would not have ran the Norway article without peer
review. Period! Like I said before I side with Joe & Kim in choosing to run
articles like the Norway article for all to read and make up their own minds
as to the methods used. I personally enjoy reading about the Lusby's success
and Dr. Pedro's FGMO success. I want to hear about all beekeepers success
with bees. All methods no matter how unusual they seem!

I do find it interesting when they had success and I had a failure but maybe
I did something different such as add varroa pressure and stress.

> Bob you do tests with your varroa resistant queen breeding,,,
how do you determine the exact load in each colony?

I have used many methods but never clearing the hive with a chemical and not
adding varroa.(like the Norway article).

>If the attempt here is to place doubt the study, then
your own queen breeding program is in doubt if you
cannot produce this documentation.

I have never published my exact results although publishers have asked! I am
too smart to get raked over the coals by researchers! I do not sell varroa
tolerant queens! I have not got an agenda! I do not care if beekeepers
follow my lead. My hives are boiling with bees this fall with low varroa
counts. I am happy and satisfied with my methods! I assume you are happy
with small cell. I could never justify the cost and labor. At todays honey
prices would take years to recoup the cost.

>The evidence is there in the study,
that it isn't to your liking is your problem.

One has to remember I ran experiments with small cell and was not impressed.
My tests on FGMO were a total failure. I had high hopes for both but " it is
what it is"

>It it obvious that this was a 'real world' test under
conditions that naturally exist in many bee yards.

Maybe in your bee yards but I have found better ways to treat than OA, bees
which tolerate varroa without treatment and small cell and see no chalkbrood
in my bees!

 You have an agenda to prove to the world that a cell size 2 mm smaller than
I use is the answer to the worlds beekeeping problems. Sorry I am not
buying! Hope we can agree to disagree! Time to move on. We both have posted
our positions on the subject.

Bob