From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 May 2013 16:56:05 -0400
Christina - questioning a statement doesn't necessarily mean we question
the credentials of the author.

I have the Buzz of the Bee book, its a beautiful book, great photos;  one
of my favorites.

However, it sometimes takes a small amount of information and freely
hypothesizes.  That's not necessarily bad.   It MAY be a  translation problem,
but the line is sometimes blurred about what is known  and what is conjecture.

I found that the most interesting ideas have no references.   Wen I first
read the book I found a few things that I'd not encountered before,  and like
you, it got my attention.  I found some of the statements in  the book were
well backed up, some were not - or at least, not in any  literature I could
find.  He at times seems to present a knowledge of some  ongoing, yet
mostly unpublished work.  He also seems to like to take a  behavioral observation
and then on not much more than that simple  observation build a complete
explanation of why it occurs, the purpose it  serves.

So, there were a few times when I'd find an issue I'm well familiar  with
in the book and felt that it came off as  being  factual; rather than a
presumption or the author's conclusion.  That  doesn't take away from the book -
just don't take everything stated in the  book as proven by hard
experimentation.

His book reminded me of Van Frisch - great on observation; great for
stimulating discussion, great for challenging ideas.  But, like the dance
language, some of his ideas seemed to reflect his own musings.  Only time  will
tell.

So, yes, I think he's right that  we've lots to learn.  But, note  the
title of the Chapter - Tuning the Telephone Line.  That's a bit of a  leap of
faith.

Measuring oscillations in comb and the effects of structure - appear to be
observations that can be verified.  Does that mean bees use comb as a  long
distance telephone line - not necessarily.

I stated, the charge also changes when bees step on and off - the comb is
much like a capacitor.  So, do they use it as a telegraph?

We can hypothesize but still don't know whether or how bees might use
either of these for communications.

Jerry