From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Feb 2001 16:39:37 -0600
Hello Fred & all,
You are right about the temperature as I make cut & curl candles and have
got a tank witch has ten vats and holds around 400 pounds of wax. Sometimes
colors get off through the dipping process so what to do with the wax
becomes a problem. I have got quite a few feeders I bought from Doug Gabbert
which needed repair so I put the odd colors as a coating on around 100 hive
top feeders. The paraffin all peeled off. What a mess. I coated  at around
165F so that's the temperature the wax was when I coated the feeders. They
worked great for about a week until the outside temperature rose and fell a
few times then they all peeled off paraffin in sheets. Any idea what the
temperature might be? My tank is heated by two 220 5,000 wt. emersion
heaters so high temperatures are not a problem. I didn't think about turning
up the heat. Duh! Thanks for solving my problem. Good luck with the bees in
the coming year!
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Odessa,Missouri
Fred wrote,
 If your wax is separating from the wood then you did not get the wax hot
 enough so that it would penetrate into the wood.  We use parafin wax to
 coat our feeders and you have to get it hot enough that it has a slight
 smoke to it. However you really must be careful as it is a petrolum
 product and will catch fire.