From:
John A Skinner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 1997 09:28:30 -0400
Mike, This estimate seems "a bit high".  In Chapter 27 of The Hive and the
Honey Bee, 1992, page 1230, Justin Schmidt, includes a table of death
rates in the US with all deaths from all causes= 2,086,440.  deaths from
cardiovascular= 977,700; cancer=461,400; smoking 150,000; alcohol 100,000;
...animal bites = 101; lightning= 85; sports collisions= 42; insect
stings(all)=41 and honey bee stings = 17.  The percent of total deaths due
to honey bees for 1986 was .0008  .

You might contact Justin Schmidt to see if he has any update information
to address your question about presence of Africanized bees.

grins, John
John A. Skinner           218 Ellington Hall
Extension Apiculturist    University of Tennessee
[log in to unmask]          Knoxville, TN  37901   (423)974-7138