Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 2000 09:56:22 EDT
SE CT USA near the RI state line

Bees were working in fits and starts, a good flow followed by a week of wet
followed by brutal humid heat followed by wet and then a few beautiful days
of dry air and foraging.
A few of the principal flows were missed due to rain and there is less honey
on the hives.
   The honey is however of very nice flavor and light in color, splits helped
with swarming and although swarming was a bit more than last year so far none
of the swarms settled in nusiance places. Some too high to safely retrieve
but none in the neighbors mailbox etc.
   I was fortunate enough to obtain some of the formic gel packs and will be
treating for mites earlier than last year. The fall honey was not as tasty as
previous years so I doubt this year will be much different given predicted
weather.
I figure that where I would be taking two fully capped supers off a strong
hive and seeing 2 half capped supers below I am taking one fully capped super
and seeing 3 half capped supers below with brood in the fifth super just
above the BC. This probably means taking the next ones off during the late
July dearth which if you are brushing is a bit rough.
Varroa is present  the bees are outpacing them at the moment.

I hear stories that in parts of the south it is so dry the catfish have ticks
on them.
How are you southern beekeepers coping with drought?