Reply To:
Discussion of Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jun 1996 22:07:41 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
How to find a wild hive:                                                        

I haven't tried this myself, but I am told this is the method used to find      
bee trees in the distant past.                                                  

From your frames that are being cleaned (or whatever the bees are feeding       
on), collect a dozen or so live bees, and put them in a box.  Watch the         
direction bees go when they leave the feeding area, then set out in that        
direction following a bee.  When you lose sight of your first bee, release      
one from your box and follow her.  Repeat the process until you either find     
the colony or run out of bees in your box.                                      

Again, the caveat:  I haven't tried this.  You might want to try this from      
about 1/2 mile away from known bee colonies (and prove it works) before you     
get led into a poison ivy and bramble patch by the wild bees.                   

W. G. Miller                                                                    
Gaithersburg, MD                                                                

ATOM RSS1 RSS2