Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2018 17:36:29 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (32 lines)
>More info needed on this statement, vapor or dribble? 1x or 5x with vapor? Treating once with OAV is a waste of time IMO<

I agree, a single oav treatment is pretty much useless unless it's applied correctly at the right time. A friend of mine cages the queens for 21 days after the honey flow in August and then vaporizes the hives. That was his only mite treatment and he got over 70% through the winter. He didn't do that in 2017 and had to do multiple treatments in August and September to get mite counts below the 3% level. It looks like he'll have worse winter results this year.

don't think anyone does dribble among my local bee club, or at least no one has said so. Majority of those who treated were doing 3x every 7 days in August/September.

I know some of them were/are using homemade vaporizers and some are using commercially available ones. A friend of mine tested the homemade one vs Oxavap wand style vaporizer. On a fully charged portable battery charger he's able to do 20 hives with the oxavap unit but he can only do 8 hives with the homemade device.  

Marcin

Chicago

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2