From:
Mike Bassett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Sep 2008 19:47:15 -0400
On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 12:34:48 -0700, Jim  <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>2)    Photos of the
>     grass (to show that only grass in front of entrances was
>     bleached) would also be a big help.

  I'll take pictures of the grass tomorrow and post here if I can figure
out how

>3)  Jot down the lot number on the Mite-Away II container,
>     and perhaps post it here.
  Because the huricane changed our weather, I had to pull of the acid this
a.m. but will be putting back on tomorrow a.m.  I had two lot numbers
bought from dadant 08032 and 08038 since I used the buckets to put the
chemical into I can't tell which or both I used.

>4)  Contact NOD Apiary Products, as they have taken pains to
>     explain how easy and fool-proof their products are, and
>     should be given the opportunity to address your complaint.
>     Sounds to me like they owe you at least an explanation
 I sent an email to them at the same time I posted to bee-l, but don't
expect a response until this week. I'm not complaining, I think the dead
bees are covered by the label, just never had it happen, nor the grass.

>Your temps certainly were not too hot, and you've used the
>product before,

I also had one pad left over from last year, the ones this year were
colored blue, the old pad was clear. when I pulled the pads the hive that
had the clear pad didn't have the same problem with the grass being white.

another beekeeper has the same lot number and he will be treating next
week, so we will see what happens. I'm using apigard on the rest of my
hives tomorrow as the temp's are expected to go up.

I also checked last years records and the temp's last year were higher
than the temps during the first few days this year.
 One possiblility is that noramlly I treat later, if temps are to high i
do one treatment of apigard, then do mite-way when temps are ok, this
normally puts the mite-way treatment after goldenrod flow, the white grass
is in a fan like shape out from the entrance of the hive, which could be
the bees drying the honey, so its a possibility that since they normallly
aren't faning later in the year I wouldn't get the same white grass.

thanks mike bassett