From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Aug 2011 22:21:33 +0100
> Me again: This this means that there is no such thing as the right
> foundation/cell size for ' the European honeybee'.

But there might be a right size for any particular race.

> My own observations  show a range of brood cell size in naturally drawn
> comb and a range of worker  sizes.

That raises a few questions.
Is the range of cell size a deliberate act, or are bees naturally
inconsistent - perhaps due to an inability to make identical cells
throughout the nest?
Why wuld they need to produce a range of worker sizes?
Is this simply due to a degree of hybridisation with diffeent sub groups
within the colony producing different sized cells?  Are absolutely pure
races (assuming that we could find them) more consistent?

Best wishes

Peter