From:
Robert Mann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Sep 2000 07:44:52 +1200
 Rimantas Zujus <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>I would like to know if there is anybody having experience with vitamin
>adding to bee food.  Maybe, some could point me the sites in the WEB
>describing the experience with the vitamins.

        The term 'vitamin' means a minor organic nutrient essential for
life in a given species.  Most of them are, or are converted to, co-enzymes
-  smallish organic molecules that are essential for the action of their
respective enzymes in catalysing reactions in metabolic pathways.
        Some spp need more vitamins than we do; others fewer.  I haven't
studied bee vitamins, but I do point out that they're not the same list as
for the human sp.  And I must say I'm sceptical of Rimantas' statement
> Some scientists try to strengthen the bees using vitamin B12.  B12 may be
>substituted with vitamin A
>plus cobalt (bees produce the B12 themselves).
                VitA is a very different chemical from vitB12 and I very
much doubt either can substitute for the other.

        From the viewpoint of human nutrition, pollen generally contains a
superior range of vitamins in good amounts.  (Making it more 'bioavailable'
to us by rupturing the pollen grains before eating may well be a genuine
help  -  anyone looked into this NZ invention?)
        In a somewhat reckless & lazy gamble I'll predict there's little
evidence that bees can fail to get all the vitamins they need from pollen.
I hope this rash stab stimulates those who like to prove others wrong   . .
.    go to it, webcrawlers.

-
Robt Mann
consultant ecologist
P O Box 28878   Remuera, Auckland 1005, New Zealand
                (9) 524 2949